Those CFL Bulbs Are Hazardous!

As originally predicted, those CFL bulbs that the government is going to soon require everyone use, are indeed hazardous.

The UK Environmental Agency issued an extensive list on how to properly dispose of the CFLs if they become damaged.  You can’t vacuum them up, as the dust circulated in the air could cause the mercury (yes, that poisonous toxin) implanted in the bulbs to become inhaled.  You have to vacate the room for about 15 minutes after the bulb breaks, and then pick up the pieces using rubber gloves.

Those predisposed to skin ailments may suffer more, as these bulbs can cause irritants like eczema to grow.  Also, these bulbs are known to cause headaches.

There you have it, folks.  Our government wants to lower our “carbon footprint” by giving us cancer, headaches, and rashes.  This stupid bill will prove to be more costly than beneficial in the long run.

What is so wrong with the mercury-free lightbulb that Mr. Edison invented?  Can’t engineers figure out a way to develop on this great invention so that it uses less energy?

I am going to hop the border for the Edison Bulb every chance I get.  Screw that stupid CFL bulb.

Advertisements

9 Responses to “Those CFL Bulbs Are Hazardous!”

  1. abbydonkrafts Says:

    I’ve had two of them blow in my office at home. I don’t know if it’s because they get turned off and on more than the others or what, but they do blow. When they do, they make a loud pop noise and put off a thick vapor cloud. We’d have to put a fan on high in the doorway to suck it out of the room. We’d also open up the sliding glass door and put a fan there to force the air outside. We’d leave it like that for about 10 minutes until I couldn’t see or taste the vapor.

    I like the light they put out, though. I can’t find an incandescent that creates the clear light like the “daylight” CFLs do.

  2. metaljaybird Says:

    Hi Abbydonkrafts, I just wonder if the potential risk of illness is worth the trouble these bulbs cause.

    Thanks for your comment.

  3. abbydonkrafts Says:

    I’m sure they aren’t. If it was possible, I’d replace the fixture with one that could hold regular tube fluorescents. The yellow incandescent actually hurts my eyes when I read from my monitor. The daylight CFL counters it.

    Next time I visit Home Depot, I’m going to see if there is a different CFL I need. CFLs aren’t universal like incandescents. A simple thing like putting them in a globe requires a special bulb. I’m also going to tell them about the gas bomb effect.

  4. metaljaybird Says:

    Good luck. I’m going to stock up on incandescents, as this is what I prefer. Do you work in a basement or something that you can’t use a window during the day for sunlight?

  5. abbydonkrafts Says:

    It’s a regular room, but there’s only one window that faces east. Due to the orientation of two doors, my desk is actually against the window (my wife’s desk is along another wall). So, I have to keep the blinds closed or else I’ll get blinded at certain parts of the first half of the day.

    Whenever I get around to custom-building a desk and new shelving units, I’m going to move to the corner beside the window. I may be able to utilize more sunlight then.

  6. metaljaybird Says:

    Sunlight is a valuable resource. I’m just happy that I can look out a window from my cubicle without getting up.

  7. OK Says:

    “Here are a few factual points to keep in mind:
    Yes, CFLs have mercury in them. If one is broken, it needs to be carefully swept up- not vacuumed. But the actual amount is low, only a few milligrams- much less than a household thermometer or old style thermostat. And the traditional tube-style fluorescent bulb we’ve all been around for years can each contain more than 3 times the amount of mercury in a standard CFL bulb.

    Over their lifetime, the use of a CFL actually puts less mercury into the environment than the use of an incandescent bulb. The burning of coal, where roughly 50% of our electricity comes from in the United States, releases mercury- and the reduction in necessary generation from a CFL more than offsets the mercury contained within the bulb itself.
    o CFLs frequently make a “pop” noise and may even release an odor or tiny amount of smoke when they burn out. This means that the bulb’s end-of-life mechanism worked as it should have, and is not a reason for concern.”

  8. mjb Says:

    The CFLs are a lot easier to damage than thermometers. I have young children, I’ll be using the traditional light bulb for the foreseeable future.

  9. Gary Says:

    Strong odor noticed from the yellow coating at base of bulb.

    Causes a throat and upper respiratory tract problemto me on breathing

    the odor. Would like to donate them to Al Gore or David Suziki or some

    of his like minded messiahs who have and continue to line their pockets

    by spinning false sience.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: